Thursday, May 17, 2012

Faith in Transition-Part 4


The only part about Cary, NC that we haven’t enjoyed is the many miles it put us from family.  While this distance has encouraged the deepest friendships we’ve ever known it wasn’t easy.  Over the years we have watched our loved ones drag themselves into our home road weary and worn from hours and hours and hours of travel.  We would pour them into a bed or at least throw water on them to make sure they didn’t slip into some sort of comatose state of relief.  We would experience similar woes as we made countless treks to Mississippi and Alabama hoping no one was murdered along the way. The anticipation was overwhelming.  We couldn’t wait to share our news with our families!  My sisters and I met in FL for my mom’s Birthday.  Andy still had a couple of interviews left and we were in the process of planning a visit to Chattanooga to check things out so nothing was definite but I HAD to tell my mom in person.  She wept.  Big racking sad sobs of joy.  Andy called his dad to gain wisdom and his dad told his mom so I didn’t experience her reaction.  I hear she had a few "Praise Jesus" moments.  In a moment of weakness, during a totally unrelated conversation with my sister in law, I caved.  Could not stand it one more moment.  I had to tell her.  Her excitement was palpable.  I heard her bare feet hitting the hardwood floors as she jumped up and down. I pictured her waving her arms and squeal laughing while I waited for her to put her phone back to her ear.  It was wonderful. 

We were excited.  It shocked me how excited I felt.  Not how excited I knew I needed to feel but how excited I actually was.  We visited the Nooga mid March along with our sweet teenager.  She was so good about finding the positives rather than dwelling on all the friends she’ll be leaving behind.  All Andy’s meetings/interviews went swimmingly.  He dazzled the Brian dude, schmoozed potential investors and we all fell in love with the area.  We just knew it’d all be settled by the time we left town.  But it wasn’t.  More meetings.  Chalmer’s would debrief the Andy Jones Visit on Monday but surely we’d hear something after that meeting.   

***crickets***

We were on edge all of Tuesday when word finally reached us that an offer letter was on the way but the author of said letter had to paint his house on Tuesday since rain was predicted for Wednesday.  Whew. We could blame it on the rain (ba dump bump).  Tuesday night I told Andy that I was going to remember the anticipation and fear of disappointment I’d felt all day.  I knew the difficult days of saying goodbye were on the horizon.  I think God allowed us to suffer through a few days of not knowing so we’d realize how much we wanted to make this transition.  In the moment of tearful goodbyes, surrounded by all we are giving up we could remember the evidence of God's calling deep within our hearts. 

But it’s so hard to say goodbye (I’m on a roll!).

2 comments:

  1. this makes me cry. sad AND happy tears. then more sad. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a few of those myself. Enjoyed our time last night. Love you big (as Memaw says)!

    ReplyDelete