Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Faith in Transition- Part 3


I loved my job.  I would walk around that office wearing grown up shoes that clicked when I walked, organizing things all the while telling people with big degrees what to do.  It was awesome.  Not sure how they put up with me but I loved it.  Being the administrative assistant to the CFO I learned a ton about finance from a very nice man who wore three-piece suits with cuff links.  He had the patience of Job and we became fast friends.  As I prayed for God’s will to be done and Andy continued through the interview process with Chalmer’s I held onto my job with an ironclad vise grip.  I wondered what Todd (church member, man who hired me, CEO, friend) would find for me to do for MTI from Chattanooga.  I just couldn’t imagine my life without Mustard Tree Instruments, LLC.  I loved this company that allowed me to prove myself.   I know it sounds dramatic but after spending 12 years out of the work place in order to change diapers and wash sippy cups, that’s exactly how I felt.  I CAN think through and solve a problem.  I have the ability to put words together and form an intelligent sounding sentence. As possibilities started to solidify I finally voiced my concern to Andy, “I don’t know how to let go of MTI.”  Exactly one week later my boss called me into his office.  As he said words like sales cycle, economy, revenue, cost of development etc. all I could think was, “We’re moving to Chattanooga.”  I wasn’t upset or hurt.  It was instantly clear to me that the one thing I wasn’t willing to part with God was taking away. 

With the privilege of hindsight I can see I would have had to quit my job the beginning of March in order to sell our house and take care of kids during Andy’s out of town trips.  Due to the lay off I will draw unemployment until mid July.  In the mean time Andy Osterlund is letting me get my feet wet in another industry.  He even calls me his Marketing Director!  Can you believe that?  We aren’t sure exactly how this opportunity will play out but I don’t think it’s a mistake that he is passionate about Urban Revitalization, has a license to practice in TN and the great city of Chattanooga is big on making the old pretty again.  As amazing as all this is I find it stunning how God really does give us the desires of our hearts.  Meaning, he puts desires in our hearts He wishes to fulfill. 

Have you ever not known how much you wanted something until you thought it might not happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment