Thursday, May 17, 2012

Sweet Mama C


Seeing as how this is my blog and I make all the decisions I’m going to take a short break in the Faith in Transition story.  My heart is too heavy.

Tonight a dear family friend lost her battle to lung cancer.  Her name was Carolyn but many of us grew up calling her Mama C.  She was the type of person who poured her life into others.  There was no such thing as too many extra mouths to feed or not enough beds.  We ate what was there and slept where we landed.  Since my own home was 8 miles out of town her house made for a great after school landing/transition spot for my sisters and I.  As soon as I walked in her house and sat at the table she’d pull off her rings and let me wear them.  Sometimes it felt like I spent more time at her house on Wood St. than I spent in my own.  Slumber parties were the norm on the weekends.  We would stay up until the wee hours of the morning playing Gin Rummy.  We’d get tickled about something and laugh until tears rolled down our cheeks in pure delirium.   You never had to wonder what she thought about anything.  She’d tell you exactly how she felt and then she’d say, “And if you don’t like it? Well, tough!” 

Much like my real Mama she was a constant in my adolescent world of inconsistencies.  One of the highlights of going home to visit was hauling my family to her house and showing off my kids.  She’d threaten to tell them all my growing up secrets so they could use them against me.  She was proud of me and every time I saw her I felt like a huge success.  I struggle to find words that express all that she meant to those who knew her.  Mama C. will be greatly missed and I am better for having known her.  I can’t wait to see her in glory where she is no longer “old and decrepit”. 
Mama C and Sheriff Leroy

No comments:

Post a Comment