Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Kind that Lasts

For two decades I've been blessed with the utmost confidence that as long as Andy Jones walked the earth, I would have a most trusted ally. As I take this walk through life I'm continuously recognizing who I am and learning who I want to be (cue Ben Rector's "When I'm With You").  As one maneuvers circumstances and decides what road to venture down, life can feel lonely.  Sometimes just taking on the day to day fears of life can seem daunting.   In the most trying of days, after mistakes or failures, in moments of fear and doubt, I've been pointed to the cross.  I've had my hand held and my ears filled with truth all the while being reassured that no matter what, I would be loved.  

To say I'm thankful for this undeserved blessing and the benefit it provides is a poor use of words.  If I were to try and describe how much I depend on my husband to comfort and protect me I would sound weak and maybe a little obsessed.  Over the years in seasons of insecurity my reliance on my husband has set him up for failure. Depending on any human for securities only God can supply is just plain wrong.  His intelligence is such that I expect him to know all the answers, solve all my problems and deliver knowledge on all subjects akin to google.  On a recent three day get away I found it delightful how time to myself could be perfected by the company of my husband.  In other words, when we are together alone, it feels like refreshing alone time.  We read each other's thoughts, finish each other's sentences, laugh at our individual eccentricities and belly laugh at life's irony.   

While this type of familiarity is wonderful it can also be a threat.  We are such one person I forget to appreciate him.  Often times when I have too many irons in the fire he's the first to be sacrificed.  My selfishness can be so consumptive I take him and the blessing that he is for granted.  We have had seasons of marital bliss and frightening times that were a fight.  We have struggled to love each other and have had to trust that God would bless our faith and once again instill the feeling of loving each other.  While love is not an emotion it does cause many types of emotion and forgiveness is always mandatory.  I'm so thankful for the pouring on of God's great mercy and how our love for one another has pierced through all facets of our being.

So I want to wish Andy a very Happy Birthday.  While falling in love so many years ago was a joy, choosing to love each other through all the years since has been the sustenance of life.   






1 comment:

  1. Love this and love you, Leah! It's such a blessing to have married friends who are persevering in loving and delighting in the Lord and each other. Thank you! Wish we could get together for a good chat.

    ReplyDelete