Saturday, October 26, 2013

To whom much is given...

Sometimes a girl just needs to see her Mama.  I realized this was the case for me last Wednesday when I hung up the phone with my mother and couldn't stop crying.  My husband received a very melancholy text from me with kindness and understanding.  He was willing to squeeze my taxiing and cooking duties into his already busy schedule without one complaint.  The last time I was this desperate for the presence of my Mom was Spring Break of my Freshman year of college and instead of staying in CA Mama counted her pennies and flew me home.  This was one of many sacrifices she made way back during my college years. Sacrifice is a common theme with this petite, quiet creature we all call Granny.

I didn't have a real agenda for my surprise visit.  All I wanted was to talk and walk with her as she lived life.  We had two nights and one day together filled with chatter, reminiscing, loving and serving her parents and hanging with my older sister.  Everyday she drives into town to cook dinner for my elderly grandparents. She reminds Nana to take her pills and listens to the story of the day that has decided to get stuck in that sweet lady's mind.  Whatever the story, it plays on repeat multiple times.  But she's wonderful and we love her.  My Grandfather enjoys discussing current events but after a few minutes you've deafened your own self trying to speak loudly enough to be heard. As you can imagine, even after 60+ years they make a fine pair.  My aunts and uncle do what they can when they are able and no doubt wish they were close enough to be even more involved.  Mama doesn't complain or allow herself to feel overwhelmed.  She stays even keeled and joyful even while exhausted.

During one of our trips down memory lane Mama relived moments from the time she moved in with her brother in order to help his wife end a battle with cancer.  Anyone who has watched a cancer patient fight knows these are difficult days.  My mom left her life for half a year in order to be with those she loved during an impossible ordeal.  She was blessed with flexibility her other sisters didn't have then and she has been blessed with proximity to her parents her sisters and brother don't have now.

I'm the selfish one.  I am saddened when Granny isn't able to come watch a football game or chorus concert.  It's hard to hear her so tired and not be local myself.  The past few days reminded me that for 38 years I've been blessed beyond measure over and over again by her sacrificial nature.  To whom much is given much is required and I have been blessed to have for a mother this little lady who delights in serving those she loves most.

Here's a video of my Nana telling the story of her conversion...a story that would be easy to listen to a hundred times over.


No comments:

Post a Comment